We began our search for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) programs with the education schools in the nation as ranked by the annual US News & World Report survey of America's colleges and universities. The MAT is not a degree that every high-powered university may offer; many stick to the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) or the Masters in Education (M.Ed.) which are the more traditional degrees, training teachers in some cases but also training school administrators and education scholars. The MAT is designed to provide graduate level education to people who love to teach or who want to teach. These universities have the education programs in the nation that include the MAT as an option for education students. Online MAT programs are becoming more popular every year and several well known Universities now offer this program.
See list of Online MAT Degrees
- Columbia University Teachers College is one of the top five Education Departments in the country. The MAT program offers a Master of Arts in Teaching for Social Studies, Art Education, Teaching English as a Second Language, History, Early Childhood Education and many other teaching specializations for K-16 environments. There are two versions of each of these degrees; one is designed for certification as a teacher in New York.
- Vanderbilt University offers the Master of Arts in Teaching as a degree for those who wish to teach at the secondary school level. It is designed to provide the right curriculum for those who are already working as teachers and for those who hold another undergraduate degree and wish to begin a teaching career.
- Johns Hopkins University has several versions of the MAT degree, which prepare students for obtaining teaching credentials in the State of Maryland. Options include focusing on elementary school education, secondary school education, and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
- University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) takes a little different approach to the MAT degree. Rather than offer it through an Education Department, other academic specialties offer the degree as an option. Thus you can obtain an MAT for Mathematics through the Department of Mathematics, an MAT in Physics through the Department of Physics and Astronomy, and so forth.
- University of Texas/Dallas offers a Master of Arts in Teaching/Science and a Master of Arts Teaching/Mathematics. The science option is available in both thesis and non-thesis format; the former is for students who may want to continue to the doctoral program. Both degrees are available online.
- Ohio State University has a Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning that has a range of discipline options which includes Early Childhood Education, Reading Education, Arts-based Education, English, Science, Social Studies and several others. The curriculum is designed to provide training for potential primary, middle school and secondary school teaching and for students who are on a more scholarly track to a higher degree level.
- Michigan State University offer the Master of Arts in Teaching & Curriculum for students who are already into their teaching career and also for those who are just beginning to teach and want to grow further with a graduate level teaching program. This degree has been available in the past on campus and in a blended format; in 2010 it has become an online option as well.
- Boston College offers the Master of Arts in Teaching for English to students who would like to teach English at the secondary school level, offered through the Department of English. There are also MAT programs for elementary and secondary teaching in the Department of Education, which can lead to licensure in the fields of history, biology, chemistry, geology, physics, mathematics, French, Spanish, and Latin and classical humanities. It's a thorough an MAT program as can be found in the top American universities. (www.usnews.com, 2012)
- Brown University has a straightforward MAT program that offers a master's degree and certification in elementary or secondary education. The specialization options available include English, history/social studies, or science (biology, chemistry or physics). The MAT can also be a fifth year option for Brown undergraduates who can include a limited number of MAT courses in their undergraduate curriculum.
- University of Pittsburgh offers the MAT for elementary school certification. There are also MAT options at the secondary school level for teaching English, Foreign Language Education, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
See list of Online MAT Degrees
We began our search for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) programs with the education schools in the nation as ranked by the annual US News & World Report survey of America's colleges and universities. The MAT is not a degree that every high-powered university may offer; many stick to the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) or the Masters in Education (M.Ed.) which are the more traditional degrees, training teachers in some cases but also training school administrators and education scholars.
Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1851, Saint Joseph's University (SJU) has been developing the minds and abilities of men and women in a challenging academic environment steeped in the enriching Jesuit tradition of cura personalis (care of the entire person).
- MS in Education - Secondary Education