Online MAT Programs
MAT Programs Online
The Master of Arts in Teaching is a degree program utilized by schools to prepare working teachers for new roles and individuals who may already have a bachelor's degree in a different field for a teaching degree. It varies from the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) also known as the Master of Education (M.Ed.) in that its purpose may be to put working teachers in the field as quickly as possible. Many MAT programs are fifth-year master's degrees for students who may have an undergraduate degree in education but want a specialization. Most programs may include a semester with student teaching hours as one of the requirements.
- Liberty University offers an online MAT that differs from other programs in that the curriculum is designed to prepare students with undergraduate degrees in other fields for teaching roles. The program is designed to meet initial licensing requirements for teachers in the State of Virginia, which does have reciprocity agreements with other states.
- Western Governors University offers the online MAT degree with several options. Students may opt for an MAT in Science (5-9 or 5-12); the MAT in Social Science, and the MAT in Teaching K-8. These programs are for individuals who already hold a bachelors' degree but not necessarily in teaching. Students interested in teaching science should probably have a math-centric background such as engineering.
- Nova Southeastern University has an online MAT program that offers specialization options in Elementary Reading, Elementary Math, Curriculum and Instruction, and K-12 Technology Integration. It's a thirty credit program designed for working teachers that can be completed in a year.
- University of Southern California Rossier School of Education offer the Master of Arts in Teaching degree online to individuals who want to become teachers and those who are already teachers and wish to expand their credentials. The program promises to meet licensure requirements in multiple states and has connections with a student loan forgiveness program available to graduates willing to teach in areas where teachers are in acute shortage.
- University of North Carolina Online has a MAT in Special Education available online. This particular specialization has become important to school expansion efforts as specialists in the field are not that easy to find.
- Kaplan University offers an online MAT meeting teacher certification standards for the State of Iowa, where the school is based. This particular program is directed at students who want teach in grades 5-12.
- University of Texas/Dallas offers the MAT in Science Education online. This degree focuses on teaching skills for the sciences in classrooms ranging from Kindergarten through high school-K-16. The program trains science educators but does not provide all of the required academic preparation for licensure as a teacher in Texas public schools.
- California State University/Fresno includes focus on social justice, multiculturalism and advocacy research in their online MAT program. This degree is offered by a school in a major metropolitan area with multiple ethnic populations. It is designed to train teachers who can function well in an environment with language and cultural barriers.
- University of Maryland University College began to offer the MAT online in March of 2009 as a response to the teacher shortage plaguing Maryland and other states. It's designed for students who want to earn secondary level teaching certification. The program will prepare students for licensure within the state; the school recommends that distance learning students check on the requirements for secondary education licensure in their own states prior to enrollment.
- Webster University is a Missouri-based accredited institution with over one hundred campuses today, extensive international and military involvement and a comprehensive online program. The MAT online offers two major concentrations: Multidisciplinary Studies and Educational Technology. The emphasis areas are optional.
MAT Programs Online
The Master of Arts in Teaching is a degree program utilized by schools to prepare working teachers for new roles and individuals who may already have a bachelor's degree in a different field for a teaching degree. It varies from the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) also known as the Master of Education (M.Ed.) in that its purpose may be to put working teachers in the field as quickly as possible.
Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
Pacific Oaks College values the experience students bring with them into the classroom. Our faculty will help you fuse your personal and professional experiences with new theories and concepts in a variety of fields.
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland